HoneyComb is Google’s latest and finest developement for the upcoming Android tablets and it can now be used on Nook Color, one of the best E-reader devices available today. The installation takes place on an External SD Card, which leaves the current default setup of your device untouched. if you want to try out HoneyComb without having to risk the integrity of your device or your warranty, read on.
With this guide, you will be able to convert your Nook Color from an eReader into a Honeycomb tablet and enable Android Market on it to be able to install and use hundreds of thousands of apps. This method uses a virtual image for the Honeycomb ROM and installs it on the SD card of the device. Without any further ado, here is the procedure.
- The Nook HoneyComb Virtual Image downloadable from the below mentioned sources.
- A FAT32 formatted SD card with atleast 4GB free space.
- WinImage on your Windows machine.
Preparing The SD Card
For Windows Users:
- Download WinImage, and install it on your PC. Launch it once installed.
- Under ‘Disk’, choose “Restore Virtual Image to Physical Drive” and select your SD card as the physical drive.
- Extract the image downloaded in the requirements section, onto the SD card.
For MAC Users:
- Open a terminal window
- Find which drive the SD card is mapped to. [type in the terminal this: “diskutil list” , Be very careful to identify the SD card and not your hard disk. Be VERY careful.]
- Now unmount that drive typing this: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk#
The computer should say: Unmount of all volumes on disk was successful
- Type: dd if=nookhoney02.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m
- Everything needed should copy right over to the card.
Booting Nook Color Into Honeycomb
Simply power down your Nook, insert the SD card and power it back up. It will automatically boot into Honeycomb!
Installing Android Market
Installing Android Market over your freshly installed HoneyComb will require a different approach than just installing an APK.
- Make sure you have ADB up and running, and your device recognized. Refer to our guides on what is ADB and how to install it, and how to enable ADB USB drivers for NVIDIA Tegra and Tegra 2 based devices.
- Download this version of the Market (2.2.11).
- Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk.
- Place the files in any folder on your computer and open a Command Prompt window, browsing to that folder.
- Enter these commands in the Command Prompt window:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system
adb push Vending.apk system/app/Vending.apk
adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
chmod 6755 Vending.apk
chmod 6755 GoogleServicesFramework.apk
- Now go to apps, open the market and sign in. If the Market won’t open at first, reboot and try again and it should work.
Enjoy your Honeycomb Nook ! If you want to go back to your stock configuration, simply power down your device , remove your SD card and boot up !