Getting root access on your Android phone gives you access to a lot of features not otherwise available to the user. It also grants superuser rights to the user, which are not given by default as any changes made through the superuser account can possibly harm the operating system if not done carefully.
However, if you want to use your Droid to the fullest and you know what you are doing, please go ahead and root it with the below mentioned guide. In order to root your device you will need to replace the stock recovery one that allows the rooting of the device.
How To Root with Windows:
- Download the following files:
- Install RSD Lite.
- Once RSD Lite installation is complete, reboot your system.
- Install Motorola’s USB Drivers as they help your operating system communicate with your Motorola device. Reboot your system.
- Plug in your device and wait for any drivers installation.
- Power off your phone while it is plugged in.
- Power on your Motorola Droid by holding the Power key and the Up button on the D-pad.
- Open RSD Lite on your system.
- Click on the ‘…’ button to browse to the location of the SPRecovery file and select it.
- Once selected, the ‘Start’ button would be enabled. Press Start to flash the recovery image on your device.
- Watch for Rebooting Device notification on RDS Lite and let the phone reboot.
How To Root with Linux:
Congratulations! Now you have a rooted Motorola Droid and are able to use many applications that require root access such as screenshot, or various system backup apps along with enhanced Android features such as Tethering.