If you want to create a Gold Card for your HTC Desire to be able to install ROMs for other carriers to it, you previously needed to do quite some tinkering around with files, including some hex editing but those days are gone as you can now very easily create a gold card for your Android device without any hex editing by following these simple instructions.
In the field of Android custom ROMs, what a Gold Card does is letting you install ROMs on your Android device that aren’t intended for your carrier. For example, if you have a T-Mobile USA HTC Desire, you can install an official ROM intended for the O2 UK HTC Desire, or even a generic ROM that isn’t locked to a carrier. It does so by disabling the CID (Carrier ID) check that the device does when installing a ROM.
Most microSD cards can be converted into Gold Cards. There are several methods available for it but this one is the easiest and it enables even novice users to easily convert their microSD card into a Gold Card. Credit goes to klutsh of MoDaCo Android forum for making this tool and to jaaystott of XDA-Developers forums for sharing it with us.
Please note that the gold card method works only with official ROMs intended for that device and it will NOT let you install custom ROMs. To flash custom ROMs on it, you will have to root your device first.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Tiptz will not be liable if your SD card or phone becomes corrupt, damaged or unusable during the process.
- A microSD card (1GB Kingston card has been confirmed to work and many others may work as well)
- A card reader to access your card directly from your computer without using your phone.
- The latest version of HTC Sync already installed.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or later already installed.
- An HTC Desire, obviously.
- A USB cable.
- Gold Card Tool.
- In case HTC Sync isn’t installed already, install it and then connect your phone to your computer via USB to get the drivers installed.
- Once the drivers have been installed, close HTC Sync on your computer. It should not be running while you are converting the card into a Gold Card.
- Download the Gold Card Tool from the link given above and extract it from the downloaded zip file.
- Insert the microSD card into your card reader, connect it to your computer and format the card to FAT32 file system.
- Insert the card into your HTC Desire and power it on.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your phone in Menu > Settings > Applications > Development.
- Connect the phone to your computer via USB and set the mode to charge only.
- Launch Gold Card Tool.on your computer and click ‘GetCID’.
- Copy the CID code from the text box and click the link shown below that text box to open it in your browser window.
- In the browser window, enter all the details required and submit that form.
- You should now get an email from PSAS. Open it and download the ‘Goldcard.img’ attachment.
- Now set your phone’s USB mode to Mass Storage.
- In Gold Card Tool, click ‘Refresh’.
- Select your mounted SD card from the drop-down saying ‘HTC MMC:’.
- Click ‘Load GoldCard.img’ and select the file downloaded in Step 11.
- Click ‘Patch MMC’ and your Gold Card will be created. You may exit Gold Card Tool once done.
There you go! No hex-editing – in fact no editing of any file in any manner, and you have a Gold Card ready to be used for flashing any official ROM on your HTC Desire.