HTC Tattoo has been given a new lease of life, when just a day back it received the latest version of the Android 2.3 Gingerbread based CyanogenMod 7 RC2.2 ROM. It was only fair that this phone was met with a specific rooting guide, saying goodbye to those one click Android root apps that may or may not work for different users. We want you to be sure that you can now enjoy the CM7 and hopefully many more ROMs like it in the future. Read on for a full guide on how to root the HTC Tattoo!
No fancy talk, we’ll get right down to business from here. Let’s get your Tattoo rooted!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Tiptz will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- To begin, navigate to android-sdk-windows > platform-tools and extract the downloaded HTC Tattoo rooting files there.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone from Settings > Applications > Development and connect it to your PC.
- Launch Windows Command Prompt and enter the following commands:
adb shell mkdir /data/local/bin
If it returns an error that the directory already exists, ignore that and simply proceed.
- Now enter the following commands:
adb push m7 /data/local/bin/
chmod 755 m7
while ./m7 ; do : ; done
You should see a lot of text starting to appear in the terminal.
- When you see the # symbol, enter the following commands:
adb push su /data/local/bin/
chmod 755 su
while 'true' ; do ./m7 ; done
chown root.root su
chmod 4755 su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5 /data
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
That’s it! at this point your HTC Tattoo is fully rooted allowing you to flash custom recovery and ROMs onto your device!