The Froyo update for the Samsung Epic 4G is gradually ending up on the devices via OTA updates. Gradually? We can’t make our peace with that, not when this can be done manually. This has been made possible by AndroidCentral forum member Paul627g who has not only released the flashable version of this update, but it even comes pre-rooted! For more on the EC05 update and how to install it on your device, read on!
To make things even better, the update can be found as aWipe version and a Non Wipe version. The Non Wipe version can be installed on an older version of Éclair you might be running, or any unsigned or leaked version of Froyo for your device. Yes, flashing the Non Wipe version will not wipe your data.
Heard enough? Lets get your Epic 4g updated!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Tiptz will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- To begin, extract the EC05x DXC.tar.rar file to a folder of your choice and locate the file,EC05x_DXC.tar.md5.
- That done, now turn off your phone.
- Now we need to boot your phone into download mode. Do that by holding the number 1 key on the physical keyboard and pressing the Power button.
- Once the phone is in download mode, start ODIN and plug your phone into the pc via the USB cable. You should see a Yellow highlight in the COM box in ODIN telling you that the phone is connected.
- Now click on the PDA box in ODIN and select the EC05x_DXC.tar.md5.
- Make sure only Auto Reboot is checked and nothing else.
- Click on Start and the flashing process will begin. Once it completes, the COM box will light up as green and you will see a Pass message. The phone will reboot itself into the freshly installed Froyo.
That’s it! This was too simple to be waiting for an OTA updates no? For more on this update and for any queries, head on to the forum thread at Android Central